8/18/2011

Shrek

I love Shrek. And I've never been a real sequel hater, but surprisingly enough, I absolutely loved the Shrek sequel, opposed to "being okey with it", like I usually am.
Which is still strange, since it used many elements that makes a sequel bad; reusing the first movie's formula, inserting a whole bunch of new (leading) characters, making the original characters successfully more boring than the new ones, etc. But I guess it was performed so well, it made the sequel more enjoyable than the first movie. 


When they announced a third part after such a short notice, I was excited, but not sure what to expect. What else was there to tell, weren't Shrek and Fiona busy living "happily ever after" already?
I thought a part 3 was unnecessary and around that same time they even announced there was going to be a fourth movie. If a story "needs" at least 4 full-length movies just to make its point, it clearly isn't a good story. Harry Potter being a rare exception. When looking at the third and fourth movie, you can see that the story slowly turned into something what we call "a sitcom". It turned into a fancy animated tv series. Especially the stupidass oger babies were one of the biggest mistake Dreamworks made and didn't add anything to the already-bland-as-Hell story, as the babies don't have a personality. These abominations aren't even remotely cute. 
Also, I thought we had Puss in Boots to deliver us our daily need for cuteness. I just want to know for what reason these disgusting creatures were designed, other than to turn the Shrek series into a low-budget sitcom. 

But surprisingly enough, those two movies weren't the reason I started writing this article. Neither were the lame Christmas special and the 3D short I haven't even started about.
I'm not sure if this is true, but I recalled someone telling me that Dreamworks was done with Shrek after the fourth movie, because they knew everything was going down the gutter; but now these new trailers keep hitting the screen, and so they basically made another Shrek movie, to be released in November.

What the shit.

I like Puss in Boots. Just like the rest of the world does. But this character doesn't deserve to get milked like this. Everyone basically lost interest in Shrek himself after the first movie, but Puss still had a chance. I'd be pleasantly surprised if this feature turned out to be good, because I highly believe it will bomb, just like every other movie and special that came out after Shrek 2.
 
Puss is an amazing character, but my love for him doesn't blind me enough to make me have any high expectations for this upcoming sellout. Hopefully Dreamworks will prove me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment