7/04/2014

Orange is the New Black

I have watched both seasons in full, and I wonder why.

I am not fond of sex scenes in movies and series, because it almost never serves any purpose in the story. The series could've been a whole lot more subtile about the lesbian sex going on in prison, but it isn't, and it's like you're watching the results of some pervert's sex fantasy.
Besides that, I'm one of those people who doesn't believe everyone turns homosexual the moment they're in a situation like this, so it's even harder for me to watch a girl who's only been there for 2 days "enjoy" another girl's face in her crotch. I won't ignore the act itself happens in prisons, but Jesus, people.

Even so, while the neverending scenes of the fingering of lady crotch annoyed me in the beginning, I soon found myself getting annoyed by something even worse:

The main character. She is a load of bitch.

When the series starts off, you find yourself siding with the main character, as she appears to be this nice blonde lady who was just a victim of the past. But it doesn't take her long to jump back into her ex-girlfriend's arms, the one who is basically to blame for her confinement, and forget all about her loyal fiancé waiting for her at home.
This nonsense goes back and forth, and with the introduction of the second season, the continuous indecisiveness of the main character just drives you insane. Mentioned fiancé was clever enough to ditch her after her sex adventure, and that makes him the best character in the series.
There is nothing likeable about the main character.

What bothers me is that it's not cleverly written indecisiveness, the character just seems like a slut who jumps on whoever she finds comfort in at that moment. Oh, except of course crooked-eyed ladies, as she still dares to have standards; it has to be the only other two people who ever loved her she needs to emotionally destroy.
She is almost evil and her disloyalty is enraging, and it doesn't help that when her ex-fiancé is honest enough to tell her he has found a new partner in her best friend, something he's fully allowed to do, she feels entitled to be angry with him. Why? They broke up long ago, and just because you tried to blow him in the bathroom of your own grandmother's funeral, shame on you, doesn't mean there was ever a chance for you.

But like the hypocrite she is, she is angry with him and her friend, and she crawls back to her ex-girlfriend as an attempt to take revenge on them, who, by the way, by that time again had stabbed her in the back.

This character is shitty and her ex-girlfriend is shitty. The fact they are based on real people scares me, as I don't want these kind of people to exist. I'm just tired of counting the times people "betray" each other in this series. There seem to be no real friendships going on, as the series is too focussed on all this other bull.

But I guess the reason I watch it is because of the few stories that are interesting.

While I hate the pregnant Latina girl, as she is a total bitch and there is no real chemistry between her and her guard boyfriend, the story itself appeals to me. Especially when the other guard who is in love with her is involved.
And even the relationship that the religious nut gets with the counsel is interesting. But the series doesn't work these stories well, and I'm not sure what to blame. Is all this supposed to be like this or is it bad writing?

I don't understand it, as all scores for this series is going through the roof. Are people these days hypnotised by sex scenes, perhaps? Is that why I don't understand Game of Thrones, either?
I'm not charmed or enlightened by this show, neither do I consider it an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment