7/22/2010

3D animation

Wowzers, did you see that? That fire looks almost real. And golly gee wizz, those eyes are so detailed, they're filled with so much emotion. Omg, so real.

3D animation
, alot of people seem to like it because it's so "realistic". But honestly, if people expect it to be; then what's still the use of live action movies and real actors?
I see 3D animation as the upgraded version of 2D animation, though I can't say I can appreciate this upgrade, since it's pretty much being shoved down our throats.

I remember someone saying that
Toy Story was one of the first (if not the first) 3D animated features. And it's nice to have, but it's not like the audience demanded it.

How realistic and "difficult" 3D artists may describe their work to be; nothing is harder than 2D animation, since
every frame needs to be redrawn and recoloured each and every single time. And because of this great effort artists put in it, handdrawn animation simply has a higher spot in my heart than 3D.
3D artists only have to design one character and then the computer makes it move. Again, how beautiful this character may look, it's cheap animation.
Of course I do like some 3D movies, since story, music and voice acting quality also plays a part in my judgement. I am not that shallow. But when we just take a look at all the the 3D movies that were made, you often see a resemblance; the biggest being these exaggerated, over-detailed, shiny eyes.
Almost every character, whether it's human, animal, or a friggen car, has these huge idiotic eyes. It's like I'm watching anime
.

It's save to say Pixar does a good job in story and characters. Dreamworks does quite alright too, but has a scary habit of portraying their characters on the cover of their videos/DVD's in quite a resembling fashion.
It's called the "Dreamworks Face" a
nd it's this face that feeds my general hatred for 3D animation even more. I noticed 3D characters making this face alot, though I didn't quite realise that Dreamworks is pretty much the only one doing it.

In case you don't have a clue what I'm rambling about, these are the features:
The character..

- Has a crooked smil
e
- Has one eyebrow raised and one eyebrow down


Even people who live in a cave would know what I'm talking about. Most likely Dreamworks does this to give their characters this "cool look", but meanwhile failed to see that their past 30 movies basicly had the same cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment