10/04/2010

Piercing the ears of babies

I was at an amusement park today, and while I was being bored, my siblings were enjoying themselves in the indoors playground. A short time later a family arrived at the spot.
While the father and 3 of his children went inside, the mother and her baby waited near the entrance. I looked at the child and I noticed her wearing o-so-very-adorable flower earrings. Immediately I felt like punching the mother in the jaw.

Most women wear earrings. It's their choice. Not a big deal. But when a mother pierces the ears of her baby, someone who can't and doesn't have a say in it, it just makes me sick.
I never liked the idea of small children wearing earrings, because it's obvious that in most cases they were forced into it. Piercing your ears hurts, you're making a hole in your skin with brute force; in no way that feels good. Especially when it's done wrong and it gets infected later on.

I still remember having a wild discussion about earrings with a classmate when I was younger. According to her "it was normal to have earrings" and if you didn't have them as a girl, you weren't normal. I replied, smart as I was back then, that if it was indeed normal, people would've been born with holes in their ears.
But we're not. We're damaging our own body because the media teaches us to. It became a standard. "Normal".

Women and girls, it's not a crime to pierce your ears, but keep your hands off of babies and children who don't even know what the shit is going on around them.



No comments:

Post a Comment